I have been asked this question many times in the last few weeks. I think I have given a different answer just about every time. Let’s see if I can through a few of those answers together…
I write because:
1. It is the one time of the day I am assured of some solitude and time to think.
2. I can’t imagine not writing.
3. Not long ago, I was not writing. (at least anything more than a grocery list, and that certainly doesn’t count.) I write so I can belong to a super-cool group of writing mamas.
4. I always (or almost always) feel like I have something to say.
5. I write this blog to have some sort of running diary of the time my children won’t remember. I want them to be able to read it when they are older and know how much I love them.
6. I write because it has always come naturally to me. I can’t draw or paint, so writing is my creative outlet.
7. I write with the silent hope that some day an editor will think the world can’t live without a bound copy of what I spew.
8. I write to quiet the crash of the ideas that swirl around in my head.
9. I write because there are a few of you out there who seem to like to read my words. Thanks!