floating on air

I pretty much floated on air all day today.  I woke early and went to the bathroom while it was still quite dark out.  I was looking out the window hoping to get back into bed while the kiddos slept when I realized something.  Barack Obama is going to be our next president.  I had not dreamed this wonderful thing.  It was reality.  Yippee!

Maggie ended up waking first and I hopped into bed with her for a morning cuddle.  A few moments into it I realized – she didn’t know yet!

“I have some big news.  He hasn’t started yet, but we know who the next president of the United States will be,” I said.

 Her eyes were huge.  “Who is it?” she asked, a little nervously.

“Barack Obama!”

“I KNEW IT!  I KNEW IT!  I knew he would win!  And he did!”  (Yep, she’s my favorite four-year-old in the world.)

As I went about my day, many people from the kiddos school whispered “congratulations” and “we did it!”  I was clearly outspoken during the election, willing to talk about issues with anyone interested.  The faculty at school was pretty mum.  Only in the last day or so before the election did I get much of an idea about how people were leaning.  The majority, it turns out, were leaning with me.  Almost everyone was thrilled.  A few were not, but didn’t have much to say about it.

On my way out, another parent and I started chatting.  We had never met before.  She was obviously pregnant.  She mentioned something about her pregnancy brain being horrible today.  She couldn’t remember anything!  I said I was giddy with excitement and had been floating about two inches off the ground all day.  My statement was political only if you wanted it to be, and she did.  She agreed and we both talked about how relieved we were.  She realized that her pregnancy brain was holding hands with giddy, happy, relaxed brain.

I’m working on a project that involves photographing the children at school.  Today was the best day for taking pictures!  Children that have scowled at me, run from me and done anything to avoid a picture pretty much lined up and asked to be photographed today.  The children were electric.  It was amazing.

Toward the end of the day I realized that I had been riding the high all day.  If only I could bottle this feeling and drink it up when I needed more. 

Then we came home and within minutes I was on the phone with poison control.  I had come outside to continue emptying my junk from the car and Nicholas’ mouth was totally blue.  He had the paint brush from Maggie’s easel and had put the sopping brush in his mouth.  I figured it was all OK, but not worth waiting it out.  So I called poison control and they were great.  She said it wasn’t major, wipe out as much as I could (which I had already done) and give him some juice.  If he didn’t start throwing up or getting sleepy, no worries.  Pretty much what my gut told me, but always nice to hear someone with authority back you up.  I remained calm the whole time, we took care of it and moved on.  I did smile a bit at the fact he had picked the blue paint.  And of course, we got it on his shirt and pants and my jeans.  But today, I could care less.  All is right in the world.  What an awesome day!


One response to “floating on air

  1. What a great day! Guess it was only fair to have a blue paint minor emergency since red paint reigned supreme the other day…
    Congrats! Hope you were able to bottle a bit of it up! I can share my invisible force field of positivity if you want to combine forces to combat the evil negativity that’s out there (especially in my workplace today!)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s